A noisy two weeks in lockdown.

On March 23rd 2020 the UK went into lockdown. I watched the news broadcast and thought, hmmm, well that’s not really going to affect me too much at all. I work from home, I exercise, I eat, I sleep. I meet friends for lunch and dinner sometimes, I go to the theatre and cinema quite often, I go for walks and visit places, but I’m really not gallivanting around town every night.

What has affected me is the unbelievable increase in noise! I thought everyone was going to take the opportunity to chill a little bit, to find some peace and quiet and wait out this scary pandemic, but instead, people have gone stark raving bloody mad, trying to fill their days with every activity known to man.

In Frome, a market town known for being very family and pet friendly, it is becoming hellish. Gone are the days when I can work from home, hearing only the odd car, bird tweet or dog bark… now all I hear is hammering, drilling and sawing, as every household realise just how long they have put off building their treehouse, extension, shelf unit etc. and want to rectify that immediately. My next-door neighbour is a carpenter. There is no need to expand on that, apart from saying my filthy language has increased to worrying levels, as yet another of my work skype calls is interrupted by his need to build. 

As well as all the endless DIY, there is, of course, all the noise coming from the gardens surrounding my house. We have had such glorious weather in the last 2 weeks that all those that have a garden, are out in it. Everyone is mowing their lawns, pruning, weeding, planting and chopping. If the families have children, they are also out in the garden, screaming on trampolines, screaming on swings, screaming on climbing frames. Screaming. And while the kids scream, high-pitched and infinite, all the dogs join in too, barking tirelessly and excitedly while still trying to figure out why they are getting so much attention.

And then we have the smug learners. That’s what I call the people you find on social media, deciding to use this period of inactivity to improve themselves. We have entire families posting videos of themselves singing, dancing and playing musical instruments. People learning new languages, taking up new hobbies like painting or pottery, we have the relentless posts of people trying to be funny with self-isolation videos. I realise I am an absolute hypocrite here, having sent a film of myself dancing to “All that Jazz” from the musical Chicago. But I didn’t send it to millions I promise, just a few poor friends who then had to say something nice about it! Sorry about that. 

There is also quite a lot of activity on social media about romance in the time of COVID-19. People sharing their stories of dating via the internet or having dinner with prospective dates via facetime, skype or zoom. I mean that’s all fine but you won’t get me meeting a date for the first time on the internet, because that would entail getting dressed, washing my hair and wearing a bra! Haha. Actually I have been incredibly disciplined about my health and cleanliness. I exercise every day and have a shower. I do wear relaxed clothing a lot of the time and have definitely not been restricted by wearing a brassiere, but I don’t need to share that sight with anyone. 

Social distancing is not a problem for me. I really don’t like being in big crowds of people and have been very vigilant about staying safe. I hold my hands up and say that I have probably annoyed everyone with my emails about safety and sanitation and I promise from this day forward that I will cease to do that. I do know you’re all grown-ups and I’m sorry if I sounded patronising. I will say though, that there are still loads of people that cannot get to grips with the 2-metre rule. My lovely elderly neighbour, who I do shopping and errands for, came round yesterday to drop off some money and seemed most put out when I didn’t invite her in for a cup of tea. Ha.

I think things will calm down in a few weeks’ time, when we realise we are in for the long haul. Reports from Italy – who have been in lockdown for a month now – are already saying that the group singing and exercising from balconies is not as regular as it was. That more and more people are finding their own routines and not being as spontaneous. As the UK is 2 weeks behind them, we are still in the throes of the newness of it all, and as we are adjusting, we are just trying to keep busy. 

There do seem to be a zillion and one things you can do online though… from group singalongs and cookery classes to pub quizzes and exercise classes. I too have joined the online group activity and am doing a pub quiz with friends on zoom tonight. I also do a HIIT class every morning and am doing my weekly Pilates, Yoga and Meditation online with my teachers. It works quite well as long as the teachers stay on the screen… I did find myself in the most extraordinary yoga position a few days ago when my teacher disappeared from view and as I followed her voice instructions, ended up with my ankle by my ear. I only realised that was not the correct positions when her face loomed large into the camera and she started laughing.

But it’s also ok to do absolutely nothing and no one should feel pressured into keeping busy. I spend half my days just pottering, and I keep referring back to the wonderful Italian expression “La dolce far niente” which translates to “the sweetness of doing nothing”. 

What I do hope continues is the kindness and empathy that is being shown daily. Checking in on family and friends more and helping our neighbours, and strangers, with selfless acts if we can. We are all born kind I think, and in times of crisis, this becomes apparent. We appreciate the important things like love and friendship. And we clap for those that are putting themselves in danger so that we aren’t. That needs to continue well after this is all over. Kindness, empathy and appreciation cost nothing. And we can all be rich. 






Comments

Popular Posts