Who Should I Vote for 2015?

Faced with a barrage of junk mail from all political parties over the last few weeks, and keenly watching the debates on television, I was still feeling a bit stumped when faced with a decision on who I should vote for in the upcoming elections. 

In the past I have voted Conservative, Lib Dem and Green, and I have been absolutely certain in my decision-making. But this year I am not convinced that one party is capable of doing a better job than the other, so I thought I would see if there was a website that could help me make up my mind and found quite a few on-line quizzes specifically for those like me… confused and unable to separate the jargon, broad statements and hot air, from the facts. 


I did the following quizzes:


http://www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11471048/who-should-I-vote-for.html


https://voteforpolicies.org.uk


https://verto.vote/independent/#/


https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz   


I answered honestly and was very surprised by the results. I thought I knew where I stood politically, I thought I knew morally what was right and wrong but some of the questions made me really stop and think, and some made me very uncomfortable. Euthanasia, the death penalty and immigration are some very tough things to think about at 8am on a Saturday morning.


After hours spent filling out the above questionnaires, I am not embarrassed to say that I came out GREEN. Not a 100% Green, but the majority of my answers matched up with theirs. I was almost relieved because Green is good right? Imagine if I’d come out UKIP? Green is about the environment, about climate change, they believe in renewable energy and want to protect our planet, they want affordable housing and believe in the NHS, and those are all things I believe in, but then I read more articles and interviews about Natalie Bennet (the leader) and watched some more TV clips of her, and it’s put me off a little. I’m not sure I want her as my Prime Minister, so I’m stuck. Do I vote for the person I think would make a good PM, who has charm and charisma as well as being able to communicate well, is intelligent, believable and trustworthy… or do I vote for a party that, frankly, will never get a majority, would be lucky to form part of a coalition government, but has more policies that I agree with? 


It comes down to person vs policies in the end, doesn’t it? I think that’s why a huge majority in this country, honestly don’t know what to do until the last minute. As they stand in the ballot box, their heads filled with facts, they end up just going with their gut. 


I have a few more weeks until I make my decision but I urge you all to do some of the above quizzes. You may not be the person you thought you were!


Comments

JK Kennington said…
Maybe if enough people vote Green then that might balance out UKIP then we could have a Con/Lib coalition balancing a Lab/SDP coalition with a casting vote in parliament of The Monster Raving Loony Party - just like Italy ?

Popular Posts